World Blood Donor Day is celebrated on June 14 of every year. The World Blood Donor Day is celebrated to raise awareness about the need for safe blood and blood products and to thank the blood donors for their voluntary, life-saving gifts of blood. World Blood Donor Day is a one of the eight official global public health campaigns marked by the WHO, along with World Immunization Week, World Tuberculosis Day (March 24), World No Tobacco Day (May 31), World Malaria Day (April 25), World AIDS Day (December 01) , World Hepatitis Day (July 28), and Wolrd Health Day (April 07).
“Donation of Blood means a few minutes to you but a lifetime for somebody else.”
History of Blood Donor Day
World Blood Donor Day is commemorated every year on the day of the birthday anniversary of Karl Landsteiner on 14 June 1868. The celebration of World Blood Donor Day brings a precious opportunity to all donors for celebrating it on the national and global level to honor the birthday anniversary of the Karl Landsteiner (an Austrian biologist who got the Nobel Prize for his great discovery of the ABO blood group). Donation of blood and blood products will helps in saving millions of lives every year. It will help the patients suffering from life-threatening conditions live longer and with a higher quality of life, and it supports complex surgical and medical procedures. Donation of blood has an essential, life-saving role in maternal and perinatal care. Access to safe and sufficient blood can help in reducing death rates and disability due to severe bleeding during delivery and after childbirth.
Themes of Blood Donor Day
The past Themes of Blood Donor Day and World Blood Donor Day 2019 are listed below
- 2004 – Blood Saves Lives. Safe Blood Starts With Me.
- 2005 – Celebrating your gift of blood.
- 2006 – Commitment to Ensure Universal Access to Safe Blood.
- 2007 – Safe Blood for Safe Motherhood.
- 2008 – Giving blood regularly.
- 2009 – Achieving 100 percent non-remunerated donation of blood and blood components.
- 2010 – New Blood for the World.
- 2011 – More blood, more life.
- 2012 – Every blood donor is a hero.
- 2013 – Give the gift of life: Donate blood.
- 2014 – Safe blood for saving mothers.
- 2015 – Thank you for saving my life.
- 2016 – Blood connects us all.
- 2017 – Give Blood. Give Now. Give Often
- 2018 – Be there for someone else. Give blood. Share life
- 2019 – Safe blood for all.
- 2020 – Safe blood saves lives.
Other Celebrations on June 14
June 14 is also celebrated as
How to celebrate World Blood Donor Day
The best way to celebrate World Blood Donor Day is to go out and donate blood to save the lives of millions of people. Encourage your friends, family members, and others to donate blood as there is a Powerful requirement for all types of blood, and there’s rarely enough of it to go around. You can use the hashtag #WorldBloodDonorDay to increase the awareness about the donation of Blood.