Hydrography is the part of applied sciences which deals with the measurement and description of the environmental features of Lakes, rivers, seas, coastal areas, and oceans. Not only with measurement, but also it predicts its time over change, for the primary purpose of navigation and in support of several other marine activities, economic development, security and defense, scientific research, and environmental protection. In order to preserve them, World Hydrography Day is celebrated for the work of hydrographers and the importance of hydrograph.
History of World Hydrography Day
The International Hydrographic Bureau was formed in the year 1921 for the purpose of providing a way for consultation between governments on such matters as technical standards, safe navigation, and the protection of the marine environment. After that, the name was changed to the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO) in the year 1970. In the year 2005, the IHO adopted the concept of a World Hydrography Day, which was approved by the United Nations General Assembly in the Resolution A/RES/60/30 Oceans and the law of the sea. The date chosen for World Hydrography Day is June 21, which is the anniversary of the founding of the International Hydrographic Organization.
Other Celebrations on June 21
June 21 is also celebrated as
- National Daylight Appreciation Day
- International Yoga Day
- World Music Day
- World Giraffe Day
- National Peaches and Cream Day
- World Humanist Day
- Go Skateboarding Day
- National Selfie Day
How to Celebrate the Day
The day is celebrated by creating several awareness program, events, rally, etc. stating the importance of Hydography in tour world. The main aim of the day is giving suitable publicity to its IHO’s work towards the world at all levels and of increasing the coverage of hydrographic information on a global basis. You can also share your thoughts about the day in the social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, reddit, etc. with the hashtag #WorldHydrographyDay.
The theme for World Hydrography Day
Every year the day is celebrated based on some theme and they are
- 2021: 100 years of international cooperation in hydrography
- 2020: Hydrography enabling autonomous technologies
- 2019: Hydrographic information driving marine knowledge
- 2018: Bathymetry – the foundation for sustainable seas, oceans, and waterways
- 2017: Mapping our seas, oceans, and waterways – more important than ever
- 2016: Hydrography – the key to well-managed seas and waterways
- 2015: Our seas and waterways – yet to be fully charted and explored
- 2014: Hydrography – much more than just nautical charts
- 2013: Hydrography – underpinning the Blue Economy
- 2012: International Hydrographic Cooperation – supporting safe navigation
- 2011: Human Resources – The important element to the success of hydrography
- 2010: Hydrographic Services – the essential element for maritime trade
- 2009: Hydrography – Protecting the marine environment
- 2008: Capacity Building, a vital tool to assist the IHO in achieving its mission and objectives
- 2007: Electronic Navigational Charts (ENCs); an essential element of safety at sea and efficient maritime operations
Thank you for reading the article. Hope you know more information about the day. Celebrate every day of your life with Happydays365.org. Happy World Hydrograph Day 2021.