World Intellectual Property Day
World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated on April 26 of every year. The day is celebrated to “raise awareness on how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact on daily life” and “to celebrate the creativity and the contributions made by innovators and creators in the development of societies across the globe.” April 26 was chosen as the day coincides with the date on which the Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization entered into force in 1970. World Intellectual Property Day is also known as World IP Day, and it is a perfect day to increase the people awareness and the understanding of intellectual property.
“I still really love the world and the universe and the mythology of ‘Halo.’ If I was given control, I would really like to do that film. But that’s the problem. When something pre-exists, there’s this idea of my own interpretation versus 150 other people involved with the film’s interpretation of the same intellectual property.” – Neill Blomkamp
History of World Intellectual Property Day
According to the statement made by the WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization) in September 1998, the director of National Algerian Institute for Industrial Property (INAPI) proposed on April 7, 1999, the institutionalization of an international day for intellectual property. The main aim behind this is to draw the framework for broader mobilization and awareness accessing to the promotional aspect of the innovation and the achievements of creators of intellectual property across the world. On August 1999, the Chinese delegation to the WIPO proposed the adoption of “World Intellectual Property Day.” On October of the same year, the general assembly of World Intellectual Property Organisation approved the idea of declaring the day April 26 as World Intellectual Property Day.
Themes of World Intellectual Property Day
The current and past themes of World Intellectual Property Day are listed below
- 2019 – Reach for Gold: IP and Sports.
- 2018 – Powering Change: Women in Innovation and Creativity
- 2017 – Innovation – Improving Lives.
- 2016 – Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined.
- 2015 – Get Up, Stand Up. For Music.
- 2014 – Movies – a Global Passion.
- 2013 – Creativity – The Next Generation.
- 2012 – Visionary Innovators.
- 2011 – Designing the Future.
- 2010 – Innovation – Linking the World.
- 2009 – Green Innovation.
- 2008 – Celebrating the innovation and promoting the respect for intellectual property
- 2007 – Encouraging Creativity
- 2006 – It Starts With An Idea.
- 2005 – Think, Imagine, Create.
- 2004 – Encouraging Creativity.
- 2003 – Make Intellectual Property Your Business.
- 2002 – Encouraging Creativity.
- 2001 – Creating the Future Today.
Other Celebrations on April 26
April 26 is also celebrated as
How to Celebrate World Intellectual Property Day
Celebrating the World Intellectual Property Day or World IP Day is quite easy and very simple to remember. The government agencies, non-government organizations, community groups will hold different events and activities to promote the World Intellectual Property. You can participate in those events, and you can use #WorldIntellectualPropertyDay or #WorldIPDay to post on social media.