World Town Planning Day is observed on November 8 of every year. World Town Planning Day is otherwise known as World Urbanism Day or WTPD, and it presents an excellent opportunity to look at planning from a world perspective, and APA encourages its members to consider planning challenges and solutions across the world on that day. World Urbanism Day is a special day to recognize and promotes the role of planning in creating livable communities.
“Apparently the town, a triumph of post-war socialist planning was a sewer, full of tattooed beasts and violent zombies, with vomit and blood frothing in the gutters. I couldn’t wait to see it.” – Hanif Kureishi
History of World Town Planning Day
Professor Carlos Maria Della Paolera of the University of Buenos Aires created the organization for World Urbanism Day in 1949 to advance public and professional interest in planning, both regionally and abroad. American Institute of Certified Planners supports World Urbanism Day as an approach to promote the broad-based awareness, support, and promotion of community and regional planning between the general public and all levels of management through activities in appreciation of American achievements on World Town Planning Day of each year.
Reasons to Celebrate WTPD:
- To bring more attention to the aims, objectives, and development of urban and regional planning across the world.
- To give worldwide coverage to the ideals of urban and regional planning not only within the profession but also among the general public.
- World Urbanism Day highlights the significant contributions sound planning has made to the quality of global human arrangements and their circumstances.
Other Celebrations on November 8
November 8 is also celebrated as
- Guinness World Record Day
- Cook Something Bold and Pungent Day
- International Tongue Twister Day
- International Day of Radiology
How to Celebrate the World Urbanism Day
On this day, raise awareness about the importance of planning in your communities. Some of the planning associations and academic institutions organize special educational events on the topics relevant to planning in the local and global context. The online conference of World Urbanism Day provides an opportunity to telecast those events around the world. Share your thoughts about the Day on social media on social media by using the hashtag #WorldTownPlanningDay or #WTPD2020.
Thank you for reading the post. You can celebrate every day with Happydays365.org and Happy World Town Planning Day 2020.