World Oceans Day comes on June 8 of every year. The day is a yearly observation to honor, protect, and conserve the oceans. The ocean provides us with many resources and services including oxygen, climate regulation, food sources, medicine, and much more. The day also offers a unique opportunity to take personal and community action to conserve the ocean and its resources. World Oceans Day events include several activities and measures, like beach cleanups, Special outdoor explorations, educational and action programs, art contests, film festivals, and sustainable seafood events.
“Unlike a drop of water which loses its identity when it joins the ocean, man does not lose his being in the society in which he lives. Man’s life is independent. He is born not for the development of the society alone, but for the development of his self.” – B. R. Ambedkar
History of World Oceans Day
World Oceans Day was initially proposed in 1992 by Canada at the Earth Summit in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Then it was recognized by the United Nations in late 2008. Since 2002, The day has been promoted by The Ocean Project, working in partnership with the World Ocean Network, Association of Zoos and Aquariums, and many other partners in its network of 2,000 organizations. The Ocean Project acknowledges that there is only one global ocean that connects us all. Inside our one ocean, there are five different oceans namely the Pacific Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Indian Ocean, Arctic Ocean, and the Southern Ocean. Until 2009, they promoted the “World Ocean Day,” but “S” has been added after the United Nations General Assembly passed a resolution in late 2008 officially recognizing June 8th as World Oceans Day.
Themes of World Oceans Day
The current and past Themes of World Ocean Day are as follows
- 2022 – Revitalization: Collective Action for the Ocean.
- 2021 – The Ocean: Life and Livelihoods
- 2020 – Innovation for a Sustainable Ocean
- 2019 – Gender and Oceans.
- 2018 – Preventing plastic pollution and encouraging solutions for a healthy ocean.
- 2017 – Our Oceans, Our Future.
- 2016 – Healthy oceans, healthy planet.
- 2015 – Healthy oceans, healthy planet.
- 2014 – Together we have the power to protect the ocean.
- 2013 -Together we have the power to protect the ocean.
- 2012 -Youth: the Next Wave for Change.
- 2011 – Youth: the Next Wave for Change.
- 2010 – Oceans of Life: Pick your favorite, Protect your favorite.
- 2009 – Our Oceans, Our Responsibility” and “One Ocean, One Climate, One Future.
Other Celebrations on June 8
June 8 is also celebrated as
How to celebrate the day
Celebrate World Oceans Day by saving our ocean by preventing it from pouring any chemical, garbage, or other waste products into it. Raise awareness among people to reduce the use of fertilizers and pesticides. Find the alternative way for pest control and the proper system of disposal of all the household hazardous wastes. Advertise your family members and friends to follow the practices of waste and pollution control. You can use the hashtag #WorldOceansDay to post on social media.
Thank you for reading the post. Celebrate every day with Happydays365.org and Happy World Oceans Day 2022.