World Lion Day comes on August 10 of every year. World Lion Day aims to raise awareness of the majestic hunter, simply known as the king of the jungle. The Lions are one of the big cats in the Panthera genus and a member of the Felidae family. Lions in the wild exhibit very similar behavior, especially when smaller females or younger animals join up with the more dominant lions in the pride. Lions are the second-largest living cat after the tiger. Wild Lions currently exist in India and Sub-Saharan Africa.
“The real power of the Buddha was that he had so much love. He saw people trapped in their notions of small separate self, feeling guilty or proud of that self, and he offered revolutionary teachings that resounded like a lion’s roar, like a great rising tide, helping people to wake up and break free from the prison of ignorance.” – Nhat Hanh
History of World Lion Day
The World Lion Day was created by Big Cat Rescue, the world’s largest accredited sanctuary dedicated to big cats. They choose August 10, because it is a perfect day for people to come together from across the world to give tribute to the mighty lion in as several ways as possible. Even though a fun and exciting occasion for all of us, its foundations are based on a grave matter: the number of lions have dramatically declined to the point where the species wants to be placed on the list of endangered, just like its larger cousin the tiger. Hence World Lion Day is a perfect day to raise awareness about the endangering of Lion animals.
Facts about Lions
Simple facts to celebrate the World Lion Day are listed below
- Lions live in large groups called pride, similar to wolves
- The male lion weighs above 500 pounds and grows up to eight feet in length.
- Even though the Lions are called “King of the Jungle,” they live only in grasslands and plains – not the jungle.
- Female lions and their sisters live together for entire life. Their female cubs also stay with pride, even after they are grown, but male cubs must stake out on their own once they reach maturity.
- Male lions have majestic manes which make them appear as larger and more intimidating. Female lions also attracted to fuller, thicker hairs.
- The roar of male lions can be heard from up to five miles away, and their roar is the loudest roar of any big cat species. Their roar will help them to find other lions as well as to proclaim their territory.
Other celebrations on August 10
August 10 is also celebrated as
- National Lazy Day
- National S’mores Day
- National Duran Duran Appreciation Day
- Skyscraper Appreciation Day
How to Celebrate the Day
You can change the profile picture pictures of your social media to a lion on that day, draw a sketch, and share with them on social media by using the hashtag #WorldLionDay. Gather your friends and find out who has the loudest roar. You can also like the Facebook page and follow @BigCatRescue on Twitter to show your support for World Lion Day. Because the more we spread the word, the bigger the chances of these unbelievable animals gracing our planet forever.
Thank you for reading the post. You can celebrate every day with Happydays365.org and Happy World Lion Day 2022.