Skyscraper Appreciation Day comes on August 10 of every year. The Day honors the birthday of the famous architect William Can Alen, who is the mastermind behind the construction of the Chrysler Building – New York City’s most iconic landmarks.
“Like the skyscraper, the automobile, and the motion-picture palace, neon signs once symbolized popular hopes for a new era of technological achievement and commercial abundance. From the 1920s to the 1950s, neon-lit streets pulsed with visual excitement from Vancouver to Miami.” – Virginia Postrel
History of Skyscraper Appreciation Day
The Skyscraper Appreciation Day was created by Dr. Tom Stevens. He created the day for the general public to admire the structural and architectural brilliance of skyscrapers. The day also celebrates the triumph of reason and man’s ability to construct the industrial masterpieces.
Other celebrations on August 10
August 10 is also celebrated as
- World Lion Day
- National Lazy Day
- National S’mores Day
- National Duran Duran Appreciation Day
- National Garage Sale Day
- National Bowling Day
How to Celebrate
There are several ways to celebrate Skyscraper Appreciation Day.
- Research and learn more things about skyscrapers on the internet and compile a detailed fact file.
- Have a visit to the nearby skyscraper and wonder at its architectural beauty.
- Filter your favourite skyscraper photos and add them to the “Photos” section of the Skyscraper Appreciation Day Facebook page.
- You can also host a skyscraper themed party with your friends and family members.
You can use the hashtag #SkyscraperAppreciationDay to post on social media.