International Women’s Day is celebrated on March 8 of every year. The International Women Day is celebrated to praise the cultural, political, social and economic achievements made by the women. Mother, sisters, wife, girlfriends, fiancee, just imagine what we can do in this world without them? Hence International Women’s Day is a perfect day to celebrate the women’s achievements throughout history and across the entire world.
“Any time women come together with a collective intention; it is a powerful thing. Whether it is sitting down making a quilt, in a kitchen preparing a meal, in a club reading the same book, or around the table playing cards, or planning a birthday party, when coming together with a collective intention, magic happens.” – Phylicia Rashad
History of the International Women’s Day
The International Women’s Day was first celebrated in February 1909 in New York. After two years, Luise Zietz, German socialist proposed the day to become an annually significant one that could address the various women’s issues and to promote equal rights for women. The celebrations of the first few International Women’s Day was quite different than they are nowadays, with nearly 100’s of demonstrations were taking place in Europe. During that protests, women’s demanded they finally were given rights to vote and to hold public office. Another major issue was Employment sex discrimination. Until 1917, the International Women’s Day was observed only in socialist countries, but the UN general assembly made the decision to proclaim March 8 as International Women’s Day, hence the day should be observed worldwide popularly.
Themes of International Women’s Day
- 1996 – Celebrating the past, planning for the future.
- 1997 – Women and the Peace Table.
- 1998 – Women and Human Rights.
- 1999 – World Free of Violence against Women.
- 2000 – Women Uniting for Peace.
- 2001 – Women and Peace: Women Managing Conflicts.
- 2002 – Afghan Women Today: Realities and Opportunities.
- 2003 – Gender Equality and the Millennium Development Goals.
- 2004 – Women and HIV/AIDS.
- 2005 – Gender Equality beyond 2005; Building a more secure Future.
- 2006 – Women in Decision-Making.
- 2007 – Ending impunity for violence against Women and Girls.
- 2008 – Investing in Women and Girls.
- 2009 – Women and Men United to End Violence against Women and Girls.
- 2010 – Equal Rights, Equal Opportunities: Progress for all.
- 2011 – Equal Access to Education, Training, Science, and Technology: Pathway to decent work for Women.
- 2012 – Empower rural women, end poverty, and hunger.
- 2013 – A Promise is a Promise: Time for Action to End Violence Against Women
- 2014 – Equality for Women is Progress for All.
- 2015 – Empowering Women, Empowering Humanity: Picture it!
- 2016 – Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step it Up for Gender Equality.
- 2017 – Women in the Changing World of Work: Planet 50-50 by 2030.
- 2018 – Time is Now: Rural and urban activists transforming women’s lives.
- 2019 – Think equal, build smart, innovate for a change.
- 2020 – I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights.
- 2021 – Choose to Challenge
Happy Women’s Day Quotes
Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. – Eleanor Roosevelt
A woman is like a tea bag – you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. – Eleanor Roosevelt
A beautiful woman must expect to be more accountable for her steps, than one less attractive. – Samuel Richardson
Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition. – Marilyn Monroe
The sadness of the women’s movement is that they don’t allow the necessity of love. See, I don’t personally trust any revolution where love is not allowed. – Maya Angelou
The thing women have yet to learn is nobody gives you power. You just take it. – Roseanne Barr
If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. – Mother Teresa
Somewhere out in this audience may even be someone who will one day follow in my footsteps, and preside over the White House as the President’s spouse. I wish him well! – Barbara Bush
Happy Women’s Day Wishes
“You are the fountain of life. You are a resilient river that travels
longdistance, carrying everything on her shoulders but finally reaching her destination.”
“When the world was created, you were also created to beautify it. You have done your work perfectly for all the world is smiling for you today.”
“Today, remember that all life spring from you. Look at the world and smile that without you, life would have been impossible. Enjoy your day to the fullest.”
“You made me what I am when I was nothing. You cried when I cried and smiled when I smiled. You have been a perfect companion for me. I remember you on our Day.”
“You have faced adversity through resilience. You have disarmed your problems through smile. You have buried your tribulations in your heart. What else can I ask from you…Just enjoy this Day.”
“A beautiful woman draws strength from troubles, smiles during distress and grows stronger with prayers & hope. Send this to a beautiful woman. I just did!” Wishing you a very happy woman’s day!
“A woman can make happiness bloom all around them!”
“Behind every successful man is a woman who is getting ahead of him! Three cheers to the woman of tomorrow!“
“If God did not create you, it won’t be a happy world after all.”
“If Roses were black and violets were brown, my love for you would never be found, but roses r red and violets are blue, all I want to say is Happy women’s day to you.”
Happy Women’s Day Images
How to celebrate International Women’s Day
There are several ways available to celebrate International Women’s Day. But all of them should have a common goal of raising awareness about the struggles of women. It is a perfect day to learn all the achievements made by women’s around the world. It is a day to call for change and to honour the courage and determination made by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of their countries and communities. Take International Women’s Day 2020 as an opportunity to transform to empower women in all settings, urban and rural, and celebrate the activists who are working relentlessly to claim women’s rights and realize their full potential. To promote awareness about women’s day in social media’s, you can use the hashtag #HappyWomensDay, #WomensDay and #InternationalWomen’sDay.
Thank you for reading the post. You can celebrate every day with Happydays365.org and Happy International Women’s Day 2021.