International Cat Day comes on August 8 of every year. International Cat Day is a special day to recognize and celebrate one of humanity’s oldest and most beloved pets. Europe celebrates World Cat Day on February 17, while Russia celebrates the day on March 1. For all human beings, cats will be fascinating creatures and the most favorable pet among all pet animals. International Cat Day is a perfect day to show your love for your cat.
“Cats are the runes of beauty, invincibility, wonder, pride, freedom, coldness, self-sufficiency, and dainty individuality – the qualities of sensitive, enlightened, mentally developed, pagan, cynical, poetic, philosophic, dispassionate, reserved, independent, Nietzschean, unbroken, civilised, master-class men.” – H. P. Lovecraft
History of International Cat Day
International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW) created International Cat Day in 2002 to celebrate the most popular pet on the planet. Cats have been domesticated for nearly 4,000 years. While they were once considered for their hunting abilities, now they are valued for their fellowship and loving behavior. Though not well known, the collective nouns used for cats and kittens are a clowder of cats and a kindle of kittens. Our domestic cats are called little cats. They vary from large cats such as lions and tigers because they are active at night and can purr. Now, Cats are the most popular pet animal in all countries. They were nearly 500 million domestic cats in the world. Owning a cat has been shown to improve one’s mental health and relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. Hence International Cat Day is an annual celebration of one of the world’s favorite animal companions.
Facts about Cats
Some interesting facts about the cats to celebrate International Cat Day are listed below
- Cats sleep for two-thirds – almost 70% – of their lives, usually spending between 13 and 16 hours of the day asleep.
- Cats use their whiskers as sensors to decide how wide space is – and whether they can fit through it or not.
- The heartbeat of a cat is two to three times faster than a human’s heartbeat.
- Cats enjoy playing, and it is essential for improving their motor skills, encouraging social behavior, and providing brain training.
- The cats can jump up to six times their length.
- Cats have powerful, tightly regulated muscles and fast reflexes that allow them to move fastly
- They can detect higher frequencies of sound than humans and dogs.
- Cats communicate using visual indications like scratch marks.
- Cats have good vision at night, and they can see at one-sixth the light level required for human vision.
Other Celebrations on August 8
August 8 is also celebrated as
How to Celebrate the Day
Celebrating International Cat Day is quite easy and very simple to remember. Dress up your cat in a comfortable and safe costume and make them a memorable day. If you don’t have cats in your home, you can adopt them from the nearby shelter. After Dressing Up your cat, you can take photos with them and share them on social media by using the hashtag #InternationalCatDay.
Thank you for reading the post. You can celebrate every day with Happydays365.org and Happy International Cat Day 2023.