National Drink Wine Day is celebrated on February 18 of every year. Wines also have some health benefits. Moderate drinking of wine will reduce the risk of liver disease, type II diabetes, heart attack, stroke and a certain type of cancers. It can reduce bad cholesterol and can increase the good (HDL). Hence National Drink Wine Day is a day to spread the health and love of wines. Enjoy the Drink Wine Day by refreshing glass of Merlot, Pinot, Chardonnay, Zinfandel, or Shiraz in honor of the occasion.
“I love Everything that is old – old friends, old times, old manners, old books and old wines.” – Oliver Goldsmith
History of National Drink Wine Day
The creator or inventor of National Drink Wine Day is still unknown. From 6000 B.C, peoples have been producing the Wines. There are different ancient legends about human beings who accidentally became intoxicated due to the consumption of fermented grapes; this is how the wines are first created. Initially, people began experimenting with the process of fermentation and the methods to make the wine were spread from Mesopotamia to Greece, Egypt, France, Rome, Spain and the New World. At now, nearly twenty million acres of the earth’s surface was dedicated to growing the grapes for wine. The studies have proved that moderate drinking of wine will improve heart health, boosts immunity, reduces forgetfulness and increase the bone density.
Facts about Wine
The simple and the unknown facts about the Wine are listed below
- The red wines are associated with health benefits. It will decrease the chance of having a stroke when compared to non-drinkers.
- Wine glasses must be held by the stem as the hand doesn’t raise the temperature of the wine.
- The wine bottles that have animals on the label are called as “Critter Wine.”
- Wines are virtually made in every country.
- The intense fear or hatred of wine is known as “Oenophobia.”
- The tradition of bumping glasses with a “Cheers” greeting came from the Rome.
- Winemaking is a significant theme in the oldest literary works called “Epic of Gilgamesh.”
- The average age of French oak tree harvested for use in creating wine barrels is 170 years.
- Nearly 400 oak species are available to source wood for wine barrels.
- The Germans invented the Eiswein, made from the frozen grapes.
Other Celebrations on February 18
February 18 is also celebrated as
How to Celebrate National Drink Wine Day
Celebrating the National Drink Wine Day is quite simple and very easy to remember. Celebrate the day by visiting the local winery and send your friends a virtual toast with the free e-card. Spread the positive benefits of wine to friends, family members and to even co-workers. Gather your friends, family members and conduct a Wine Themed Party. Take pictures and share them on the social media’s by using the hashtag #DrinkWineDay.