World Refugee Day comes on June 20 of every year. World Refugee Day provides us an opportunity to focus the world’s attention on the predicament of refugees and dislodged people around the world, the causes of their separation, their resolve and will to survive, and how they share with Canada. It is the day to dedicate the awareness of the situation of refugees throughout the world. Refugees have implemented a variety of lifesaving assistance, safety, and protection by government bureaus and organizations. They are provided tents, shelter, living components supplies and served with life-saving services. The goal of commemorating this event is to increase public awareness among the common public by sharing similar refugee stories.
History of World Refugee Day
On December 4, 2000, the Declaration of the UN General Assembly had declared that, from 2001, 20 June will be celebrated as World Refugee Day. In this interpretation, the General Assembly noted that 2001 marked the 50th anniversary of the 1951 Convention relating to the Status of Refugees. Refugee Day had celebrated in many countries before 2000. The UN noted that the Organization of African Unity had agreed to have International Refugee Day correspond with Africa Refugee Day on 20 June. In the Roman Catholic Church, the World Day of Migrants and Refugees is dedicated in January each year, having instituted in 1914 by Pope Pius X.
Themes of World Refugee Day
The themes of World Refugee Day are listed below
- 2021 – “Together we heal, learn and shine.”
- 2020 – “Every Action Counts.”
- 2019 – “StepWithRefugees – Take a Step on World Refugee Day.”
- 2018 – “Now More Than Ever, We Need to Stand with Refugees,”
- 2017 – “Embracing Refugees to celebrate our Common Humanity.”
- 2016 – “We Stand Together With Refugee.”
- 2015 – “With courage let us all combine.”
- 2014 – “Migrants and Refugees: Towards a Better World.”
- 2013 – “Take one minute to support a family forced to flee.”
- 2012 – “1 family torn apart by war is too many”.
- 2011 – “1 refugee without hope is too many.”
- 2010 – “1 refugee forced to flee is too many”.
- 2009 – “Home.”
- 2008 – “Protection.”
- 2009 – “Perseverance.”
- 2008 – “Hope.”
- 2007 – “Courage.”
- 2006 – “Courage.”
- 2005 – “Refugee Youth: Building the Future.”
- 2004 – “Tolerance.”
- 2003 – “Respect.”
World Refugee Day Quotes
- “I urge you to celebrate the extraordinary courage and contributions of refugees past and present.” – Kofi Annan, UN Secretary-General
- “Displaced societies are of value. Their issues are our issues.” – Cynthia Basinet
- “Despite very harsh living conditions and the trauma of what they went through, they [Sudanese refugees] had a lot of dignity.” – Julien Clerc
- “They are safe, but they are not in their homes. They are city-less. I think it’s just a disaster for everyone.” -Teri Hatcher
- “In countries where people have to flee their homes because of persecution and violence, political solutions must be found, peace and tolerance restored so that refugees can return home. In my experience, going home is the deepest wish of most refugees.” – Angelina Jolie
- “Refugees have done more for my heart and my spirit than I can ever express in words.” – Angelina Jolie
- “World Refugee Day is an important opportunity to remind us about the ongoing plight of millions of refugees around the world.” – Robert Alan Silverstein
Other Celebrations on June 20
June 20 is also celebrated as
- National Vanilla Milkshake Day
- National American Eagle Day
- National Ice Cream Soda Day
- National Kouign Amann Day
- World Productivity Day
- Fathers Day
How to Celebrate the day
Celebrate World Refugee Day by supporting millions of families all over the world who have lost their homes and loved ones because of violence or war. The day was organized by the General Assembly of United Nations for the refugees to honor them for their courage in handling lots of problems later losing homes due to struggle or violence and their participation in their communities. World refugee day celebration offers an opportunity to all to help the refugees worldwide to rebuild their quality lives through lots of relevant activities. You can use the hashtag #WorldRefugeeDay to spread awareness on social media.
Thank you for reading the post. Celebrate every day with Happydays365.org and Happy World Refugee Day 2021.