World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is observed on May 21 of every year. It is created to help people to learn about the importance of cultural diversity and harmony. The World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development is otherwise known as World Diversity Day. World Diversity Day is a perfect day to help the communities to understand the value of cultural diversity and learn how to live together in harmony.
“I think the driving force for cultural evolution is this desire for groups to be splitting off and separating and forming subgroups insofar as the environment will allow it. We see great cultural diversity and large numbers of cultures per unit area in regions of the world in which the environment is really rich.” – Mark Pagel
History of World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
On November 2001, UNESCO’s Universal Declaration on Cultural Diversity proclaimed this holiday for the promotion of diversity issues. This holiday is created as a result of the destruction of the Buddha statues of Bamiyan in Afghanistan in 2001. The day provides a chance to deepen our understanding of the importance of cultural diversity and to raise the awareness of the four goals of UNESCO’s Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions approved on 20 October 2005:
- Support sustainable systems of governance for culture.
- Integrate culture into sustainable development frameworks.
- Complete a steady flow of social goods and services and increase the mobility of artists and cultural professionals.
- Promote human rights and fundamental freedoms.
The World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development or World Diversity Day is a global observance and not a public holiday.
Other Celebrations on May 21
May 21 is also celebrated as
- Rapture Party Day
- National Waitstaff Day
- National Memo Day
- I Need A Patch For That Day
- Global Accessibility Awareness Day
- National Notebook Day
How to celebrate World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development
Observe the World Day for Cultural Diversity for Dialogue and Development by encouraging the people and organizations from around the world to take concern action to support the diversity and campaign aims. The aims are:
- Raise awareness worldwide about the importance of intercultural dialogue, diversity, and inclusion.
- Build a world community of individuals committed to supporting diversity with real and every-day-life gestures.
- Combat polarization and stereotypes to promote understanding and harmony among people from different cultures.
Peoples can use the hashtag #WorldDayforCulturalDiversityforDialogueandDevelopment or #WorldDversityDay to post on social media.